London Living: Christmas in the Capital
1 December, 2016
Want to kick-off the Christmas season in the best way possible but not sure how best to go about it? Don’t worry, you'll find a mind-boggling array of seasonal treats on offer in London, whether you’re just visiting or spending the whole festive period here, you won’t be short of events to spread the festive cheer…
It’s that time of year again and -if you’re anything like us- you’re getting excited for the decorated tree, ugly Christmas jumpers, presents, mistletoe, mulled wine and the harmonious voices of carolers (and maybe even Christmas sales).With all the Christmas decorations and festive lights filling the streets, London feels particularly enchanting this time of year.
We’re sharing some of our best tips on how to navigate the city to follow the festive and enchanting spell that runs the streets of London.
- Hyde Park: Winter Wonderland: You’ve probably heard of Winter Wonderland in Hyde Park but even if you’ve already been, there’s no reason to think that you shouldn't religiously go to this enchanted world year after year. It's the fastest fix of the Christmas spirit in London – and probably one of the best. A combination of winter markets, festive rides, ice skating and quality performances!
- Leicester Square: Santa’s definitely coming to town but word is that Leicester Square is the place to be this winter: the ‘square’ in Leicester Square will be home to a grotto, a traditional market and a vintage Spiegel tent – the venue has promised an unbeatable programme of Christmas shows brought to you by the world famous La Soirée circus and more!
- Southbank: Southbank Centre Winter Festival: The Southbank Centre Winter Festival is supposedly throwing their biggest and best ever Christmas celebration! Head over for some Thames-side festive fun, where you can buy gifts and festive produce whilst enjoying the plethora of shows guaranteed to make you all warm and fuzzy despite the cold weather.
- South Kensington: Ice Skating at Natural History Museum: Nothing screams 'Christmas' more than a silly, romantic glide across the ice at the Natural History Museum before a nice glass of mulled wine. 80,000 twinkling lights, festive music, and an iconic location will guarantee a perfect outing.
- Elephant & Castle: ‘Some Voices’ presents Christmas Movies: 400 keen carolers will be presenting their unique take on Christmas film classics and cult favourites. There’ll be tracks from Love Actually, that Oasis song from the John Lewis ad and inevitably some Mariah in the mix too. A DJing santa and candy cane cocktails will add to the festive vibes.
- Christmas Carols in Trafalgar Square: Every year, London receives its very own gift from our Norwegian friends – a huge and magnificent Christmas Tree – around which a different choir will gather to sing carols every night from December 8th to 23rd.
It seems fairly obvious that London is treating you to a fun, fabulous, and fascinating Christmas. In fact there’s so much happening in London this Christmas, you’ll find it hard to choose what to do!
Written by Capucine Brunet, Instant Impact Brand Ambassador
Back to blog posts